Centennial Travel Award in Basic Science Tropical Disease Research Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Question: Is citizenship of the U.S. or Canada required?
    Answer: No. Citizenship of the U.S. or Canada is not a requirement. As long as the applicant is enrolled at an accredited U.S or Canadian institution, they are eligible to apply for the fellowship.

  2. Question: Is the award only for those studying parasitic diseases?
    Answer: No, it is for all areas of tropical medicine and hygiene including immunology, genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology and entomology.

  3. Question: How long is the overseas requirement?
    Answer: A minimum of six months must be spent at the overseas site.

  4. Question: Are individuals holding DVM or equivalent degrees eligible to apply for the Centennial Travel Award?
    Answer: Yes, individuals holding DVM or equivalent degrees are eligible to apply.

  5. Question: Is an applicant with an affiliation at an American institute located outside North America, eligible to apply for the fellowship?
    Answer: At this time, applicants must be a full-time postdoctoral fellow (PhD, MD, DVM or the equivalent) enrolled at a U.S. or Canadian institution.

  6. Question: I am currently a PhD student, but am writing my thesis and am expected to defend in October.  I have a position for my post-doctoral fellowship and will be starting it in November.  Can I still apply for the travel award or am I ineligible as I am not currently a post-doc?
    Answer: Yes, you may apply; however, confirmation of enrollment in a PhD program will be required.

  7. Question: What expenses do the award funds cover?
    Answer: The award is made to the applicant’s home institution and is meant to offset costs associated with travel, living and research expenses.  It does not cover institutional overhead.
Last updated 11/23/2015