ASTMH Committee on Global Health (ACGH)
The ASTMH Committee on Global Health (ACGH) is organized under the auspices of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH) and has the following objectives:
- To promote the development of the field of Global Health which addresses multidisciplinary transnational approaches to health issues that unfavorably affect underserved and under-resourced populations.
- To educate about global health issues inclusive of and in addition to ASTMH's traditional purview of tropical medicine and hygiene through pre-meeting courses, workshops, symposia and abstract presentations
- To foster collaborations between individuals and groups that address global health issues
- To facilitate dissemination and publication of global health research
- To provide recruitment opportunities for individuals interested in pursuing a career in global health.
- To serve as a representative voice from ASTMH in other Global Health organizations, societies and working groups.
- To recognize outstanding contributions in Global Health
Global health topic areas focus on globalization's impact on health, health disparities and global health partnerships
Examples of topics include but are not limited to:
- Multidisciplinary approaches to north-south global health partnershis/core curricula, academic competencies and models of partnered research
- Non-communicable diseases and chronic health problems of the developing world
- Socioeconomic determinants of health in the developing world
- Climate and environmental impact upon the health of the developing world
- Cost-effective prevention of tropical diseases in the developing world
- Improving health metrics in the developing world
- Global health workforce crisis
- Rapid diagnostics and drug delivery for low-resource setting
- Tobacco and multinational industry impact on health overseas
- Product and process innovation
- Implementation strategies
ACGH Student/Post-Doc Travel Award
The ACGH works to promote the presentation, discussion, collaboration and advocacy of global health issues that are transnational, multidisciplinary and disproportionately affecting underserved populations worldwide. The ACGH has four focus areas:
• Students, career development and education
• Research and scholarship
• Recognition of outstanding global health contributions
Eligibility is limited to graduate students, medical students, residents or post-doctoral fellows who are conducting global health research and actively participating in advocacy, program implementation or networking efforts for global health.
ACGH Student/Post-Doc Travel Award Recipients
E. Ross Colgate
University of Vermont
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine, National School of Tropical Medicine
Marie Nancy Seraphin
University of Florida
Stanford University School of Medicine
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
If you are interested in membership in the ASTMH Committee on Global Health, include the ACGH membership fee in your dues renewal for 2017. For further information, contact Buffy Finn, Member Services Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.