ASTMH Committee on Global Health (ACGH)
Donate to ACGH to support its efforts to promote the development of the field of Global Health, which addresses multidisciplinary transnational approaches to health issues that unfavorably affect underserved and under-resourced populations.
|Congratulations to ACGH member Jessica Manning, MD, who was profiled by Wired for her work in gene sequencing the COVID-19 coronavirus.
The ASTMH Committee on Global Health (ACGH) 2020 Strategic Plan
View a complete copy of the Strategic Plan
A world with equitable access to health and well being for all.
Be the leading edge of ASTMH in Global Health through leadership and engagement.
ACGH Goals and Objectives
- TRAILBLAZING: Link ASTMH to existing and emerging global health and development initiatives
- Focus on important trends in global health, linking ASMTH to broader health and development initiatives such as Primary Health Care, Universal Health Coverage, and the Sustainable Development Goals
- Expand the practice and study of tropical medicine & hygiene to include non communicable diseases
- Explore opportunities for transdisciplinary science (such as One Health) and multisectoral approaches to global health
- Engage with relevant professional societies and organizations, including product development partnerships (PDPs) to coordinate advocacy efforts
- INFORMATION SHARING: Facilitate the sharing of relevant global health information with ACGH members and ASTMH more broadly
- Establish, nurture, and maintain regular and meaningful engagement with ACGH members
- Provide updates on global health policies and the work of international organizations and on groundbreaking technologies for global health
- Ensure vibrant and relevant global health content at ASTMH Annual Meeting, including Pre-Meeting Courses and symposia
- Share information about the accomplishments of members
- ADVOCACY: Serve as the voice of ASTMH on global health issues and promote expansion of ACGH
- Improve global health educational opportunities for ACGH and ASTMH members, as well as with universities
- Raise awareness of global health challenges and inequities among key stakeholders (including law makers), including advocacy to maintain/increase funding for global health research
- Review and prioritize specific global health solutions for engagement
- Increase recruitment of new members, and engagement of existing members
- MEMBER SUPPORT: Provide services, broker connections, and catalyze opportunities for ACGH members
- Connect ACGH members with training and research opportunities
- Provide an environment for social interaction and interpersonal exchanges
- Help to broker formal and informal mentorship
- Increase funding for travel to ASTMH Annual Meeting and other key events
- Focus on connecting members for research and programmatic, operational, and advocacy opportunities
View a complete copy of the Strategic Plan
ACGH Award for Research Support
The ASTMH Committee on Global Health aims to address health issues that unfavorably affect underserved and under-resourced populations, including and in addition to ASTMH's traditional purview of tropical medicine and hygiene. Global health topic areas focus on globalization's impact on health, health disparities and global health partnerships.
Generous funding from our ASTMH parent body, along with your membership contributions, has allowed us to continue this award in 2020. It is aimed at all levels of trainees who are working toward ACGH goals. This ACGH-sponsored award is designed to support research expenses for trainees who have approved research projects that are currently active or will start during 2020. Trainees can use the award to support travel to field sites, purchase equipment, software, reagents or supplies, or cover other expenses that will enhance the project.
ACGH Award for Research Support Recipients
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nigeria
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
University of Wisconsin
Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala
ACGH Student/Post-Doc Travel Award
The ACGH works to promote the presentation, discussion, collaboration and advocacy of global health issues that are transnational, multidisciplinary and disproportionately affecting underserved populations worldwide. The ACGH has four focus areas:
• Students, career development and education
• Research and scholarship
• Recognition of outstanding global health contributions
Eligibility is limited to graduate students, medical students, residents or post-doctoral fellows who are conducting global health research and actively participating in advocacy, program implementation or networking efforts for global health.
ACGH Student/Post-Doc Travel Award Recipients
The University of the West Indies
Ifakara Health Institute
Mahfuza Talukder Flowra
Universitas Gadjah Mada
University of Michigan Medical School
University of California San Francisco
E. Ross Colgate
University of Vermont
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine, National School of Tropical Medicine
Marie Nancy Seraphin
University of Florida
Stanford University School of Medicine
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
||Miguel Reina Ortiz
|Councilor for Trainees
If you are interested in membership in the ASTMH Committee on Global Health, include the ACGH membership fee with your dues renewal. For further information, contact Buffy Finn, Manager, Membership.