Nominated articles must have been published between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022.
Purpose of the Award
The Communications Award, established under the vision of ASTMH Past President Claire Panosian, MD, DTMH (London), FASTMH, recognizes excellence in tropical medicine storytelling. The goal of the award, which is selected by a Committee, is to recognize content that enhances the public's understanding and appreciation of tropical medicine research, clinical practice and/or policy. Entries are judged on scientific accuracy, initiative, originality, clarity of interpretation and value in fostering a better understanding of the field of tropical medicine by non-science audiences.
Nomination, Eligibility and Judging
Complete the online nomination form, when available. The form must include a PDF or Word file of print publications or an active (not password-protected) link to the nominated work. The form may be submitted by a representative of the nominator (e.g., an administrative assistant).
Please Note: In cases where there are multiple authors for a nominated work, please list the names of all the authors in the box provided. Be sure to list the lead author first.
Contact Doug Dusik, ASTMH Senior Manager, Communications
- Eligible: Articles published by a news media outlet, including newspapers, popular magazines and TV news websites, are eligible along with stories broadcast by recognized TV and radio news outlets, and documentaries produced for TV or other public distribution. (Please Note: The New York Times prohibits its reporters from entering any competition hosted by an organization "with a direct interest in the tenor of Times coverage.")
- Not eligible: Books, studies from scientific journals, blogs, or videos on websites or YouTube.
- Eligible works must be in English and published or released on or after July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021.
- Only a single article or documentary is eligible. Series will not be accepted for review; however, a single article from a series may be submitted for judging as standalone work.
- Nominators may submit a maximum of three nominations.
- ASTMH welcomes self-nominations. ASTMH members and non-members may also submit nominations.
- A committee consisting of at least three scientists and two professional science journalists and/or communications experts will determine the winners. The author(s) of the winning entry will be notified in September.
- The Committee reserves the right to recognize distinguished nominees.