- (Coronavirus image on our home page courtesy of the CDC)
COVID-19: Tackling the Novel Coronavirus
is still available for the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine’s MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) on the about COVID-19, presented by international experts. The course started March 23.
Who is the course for?
- How COVID-19 emerged and was identified
- Public health measures for COVID-19 worldwide
- What is needed to address COVID-19 going forward
Those working in healthcare or anyone interested in how we should respond to the outbreak.
New Africa CDC Guidance on Community Social Distancing
Guidance on community social distancing during the COVID-19 outbreak to delay and reduce the magnitude of outbreaks of pandemic influenza. Highlights include:
- Acceptance of these measures can be improved by emphasizing personal/social responsibility and that social distancing is a means of protecting oneself.
- Public acceptance of social distancing measures will be facilitated by advertising them with an anticipated end date, but it should also be made clear that this could be extended if there is another wave of transmission.
- As much as possible, community social distancing should be implemented with community consent and by encouraging social responsibility through trusted authorities and channels. As a last resort, governments should review their laws at national and sub-national levels to ensure that they have the authority to implement community social distancing.
- Governments and public health agencies should identify trusted channels and actors to explain community social distancing measures and to listen to concerns and obstacles to community social distancing.
- Risk communication should consider different audiences (e.g. by including minority languages).
Other Science Societies
- Shoreland Travax, according to Managing Senior Director and ASTMH member David O. Freedman, MD, FASTMH, FIDSA, FISTM. Click on "Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information" at the top of the page.